Lockdown is not far from Ghanaians – Kojo Oppong Nkrumah hints

Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, Ghana’s Information Minister-designate, has said that if the upward trend of the coronavirus infection in Ghana persists, the president will have no option but to lock down the country.

Ghana has recorded 3,286 active cases of the coronavirus as of Monday January 25, according to the Ghana Health Service (GHS). The death toll now 367, the GHS added.

So far, the country has recorded a total of 60,794 cases with 57,141 recoveries and discharges.

Mr Oppong Nkrumah who is also Member of Parliament for Ofoase Ayirebi, addressing the media on Monday, January 25 said “There is a possibility of a lockdown and other restrictions. If this trend continues, then yes that is where we are heading.

“I have to be very clear on that one that more restrictions could be introduced if this trend continues. We are being reminded that we all need to be doing the things we were doing, in the beginning, to ensure that this third rise is quickly dealt with because the dynamics of this third rise appear to be different from the first one.

“So especially if these numbers go up this way then just like the President himself articulated, then we are heading for more restrictions even if it means reviewing some Legal Instruments, yes that is where we will be heading.”

As a reminder, last year, President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo placed restrictions on the movement of persons in some parts of the country to contain the virus. But the President lifted the restrictions after he said it was safe to do so.

 

The post Lockdown is not far from Ghanaians – Kojo Oppong Nkrumah hints appeared first on GhBase•com™.